I’m always on the lookout for the best weight loss supplements. While I don’t think I’ll ever find a magic pill that literally melts every unwanted pound off overnight I know there are supplements that make weight loss easier. Anything that can help you safely lose weight is worth checking out.
When I’m searching for an effective weight loss supplement I have a checklist I go through before I consider trying it myself.
- It has to be getting good reviews from other consumers like you and me.
- Its ingredients must be supported by clinical research to help men and/or women lose weight.
- It has to be safe with no known negative side effects in healthy men and women.
- It has to be a weight loss supplement that doesn’t make me feel overly jittery like many products do.
What Is Green Coffee Bean Extract?
Green coffee bean extract is derived from raw coffee beans. These beans are green in color, hence their name.
What makes green coffee beans special is chlorogenic acid (CGA). This is what gives the beans their weight loss power. You’ll learn all about CGA’s weight loss benefits in the next section of this article.
How Can Green Coffee Bean Extract Help Me Lose Weight?
Studies show it can help you and I lose weight and benefit our healthy in several ways. I’ve listed each below for you.
1. By controlling your blood sugar levels following a meal. After eating, our blood sugar levels tend to rise. This is especially true after eating a meal high in carbohydrates and sometimes protein too. Elevated blood sugar levels can trigger our bodies to store the food we ate as fat. They can also lead to a ‘crash’ that makes us feel sleep, cranky, and all around horrible. Chronically elevated blood sugar, and as a result, insulin levels can also increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes and other serious health problems.
Studies show that taking a green coffee bean extract supplement before eating can significantly reduce increases in blood sugar levels after eating (4). This means there’s less chance that what you eat is being stored as fat, and food induced loss of energy and mood swings.
2. Lowering blood sugar levels. The lower your blood sugar levels, the easier it is to lose weight and keep it off. You are more likely to have more consistent energy levels and have better health overall by keeping your blood sugar levels in check. Taking green coffee bean extract is shown to help keep blood sugar levels lower between meals too. This is important since elevated fasting blood sugar is a risk for developing type 2 diabetes and other health conditions.
In one study, subjects taking 400 mg of green coffee bean extract had a 32% lower blood sugar levels 2 hours after ingesting pure, insulin and blood sugar spiking glucose (1). Over time, this can play a significant role in keeping you healthy.
Keeping your blood sugar levels low and steady can also help you remain feeling full and energetic between meals. I also notice that my cravings are significantly diminished when I keep them this way by eating low carb and taking green coffee extract.
3. Decreasing the absorption of sugars after eating. Studies show that green coffee bean extract also decreases the absorption of sugars in your small intestines. This means that less sugar is available to be stored as fat and less calories are taken in by your body after eating (4).
4. Increasing the release of fat burning enzymes. Taking green coffee bean extract supplements enables the release of lipolytic or fat burning enzymes in our bodies (2). These enzymes enable the cells of our body to release stored body fat for energy. One of these enzymes that it helps release, adinopectin also helps to control insulin levels. The lower your insulin levels, the less likely your body is to store fat.
How Much Weight Can I Lose Taking Green Coffee Bean Extract?
When taken properly, a green coffee bean extract supplement you should be able to lose at least a pound a week. Working out and eating right may help you to lose more. Below are results from a few studies which illustrate the weight loss that can occur by taking this supplement.
Subjects in one study lose almost 18 pounds after taking it over a period of 12 weeks. One person in this study actually lost 22 pounds! Everyone in the study lost the most weight when taking about 1,000 mg a day. Results may have been even better if they were taking 1,000 mg a day for the entire study (6).
Another, placebo controlled study performed by Dr. Oz finds that subjects taking it lose an average of 2 pounds in just 9 days (5). Those taking a placebo lost 1 pound. The women in his study were not put on a weight loss diet or exercise program. They were instructed to keep a food journal which can be helpful with weight loss.
How Much Should I Take?
Studies show that you will get the best results by taking about 1200 mg daily in divided doses. Experts like Dr. Oz and the Life Extension Foundation recommend taking 400 mg about 30 minutes before you eat 3 times a day.
When buying a green coffee bean extract supplement you also need to make sure it contains the right dosage and ingredients. This will help ensure you get the most benefit possible.
The label of any supplement you buy should contain the following:
Probably not. Unlike the roasted beans used to make your morning java, there is very little caffeine in green coffee beans and its extract. A single serving has about 1/5th the caffeine in an 8 ounce cup of coffee.
The weight and fat loss benefits of this supplement are not due to stimulant based mechanisms. Unlike caffeine and other stimulants, green coffee bean extract doesn’t simply crush your appetite and speed up your metabolism so you burn a couple extra calories an hour.
What it does is reduce the amount of glucose your cells absorb after a meal and increase the amount of fat burning enzymes in your body. This means that even if you overeat you will be less likely to store the food that’s converted to sugar as fat.
Can I Get The Same Benefits From Drinking Coffee?
No. When you roast coffee beans it eliminates the chlorogenic acid (CGA) that produces the aforementioned benefits. Unless you want to eat a lot of raw coffee beans, taking a supplement is the best way to get your dose.
Now you know about a nutritional supplement that I think may be one of the ‘hot’ supplements in 2014. While no substitute for a healthy diet and workout plan, taking a green coffee bean extract supplement properly looks to be a great addition to your weight loss plan. I made it part of mine and plan on continuing to take it, even after the last few pounds come off. It’s health benefits and safety make taking it a no-brainer for me.
What do you think about green coffee bean extract?
1. Bidel S, Hu G, Sundvall J, Kaprio J, Tuomilehto J. Effects of coffee consumption on glucose tolerance, serum glucose and insulin levels: a cross-sectional analysis. Horm Metab Res. 2006;38(1):38-43.
2. Flanagan J, Bily A, Rolland Y, Roller M. Lipolytic Activity of Svetol®, a Decaffeinated Green Coffee Bean Extract. Phytother Res. 2013 Dec 12.
3. Johnston KL, Clifford MN, Morgan LM. Coffee acutely modifies gastrointestinal hormone secretion and glucose tolerance in humans: glycemic effects of chlorogenic acid and caffeine. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003;78:728-33.
4. Kozuma K, Tsuchiya S, Kohori J, Hase T, Tokimitsu I. Antihypertensive effect of green coffee bean extract on mildly hypertensive subjects. Hypertens Res. 2005 Sep;28(9):711-8.
5. Dr. Oz Show. 2012, September 10. Green Coffee Bean Extract: The Fat Burner That Works! Retrieved from http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/green-coffee-fat-burner-works.
6. Vinson JA, Burnham BR, Nagendran MV. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, linear dose, crossover study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a green coffee bean extract in overweight subjects. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2012;5:21-7.