Do you want to lose weight? Would you like to do so without the hassle of counting every calorie that you eat. When I am dieting to lose weight I sure do.
If you’re like me I have the solution that works. Big time. It’s really simple too. All you need to do is replace 1-2 of your daily meals with high quality protein shakes. Numerous studies shows making this simple change works. Doing this can not only help you lose more weight but take off excess body fat which is what keeps us from looking and feeling our best (1,2,4). In one study, subjects replacing their meals with protein shakes lost almost 14 pounds in 6 weeks (1). The men and women in the study who didn’t drink the shakes lost half as much.
Why This Type Of Diet Works
1. You have more control. Since protein shakes have a set amount of calories, carbohydrates, protein, and fat so you know exactly how many you’re eating. This decreases the risk of overeating and ruining your diet.
2. You’ll get more fat burning protein in your diet. Studies show that diets higher in protein – especially branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) – enable you to lose weight faster than a diet high in carbohydrates (3). Whey, a protein used in many shakes is especially rich in BCAAs.
3. You will stay full longer. Protein shakes will keep you full longer than high carbohydrate, low fat meals. This makes it less likely that you will become hungry during the day and cheat on your diet.
4. You’ll burn more calories. As you know, the more calories you burn, the more weight you will lose. When you eat plenty of protein, your body uses more calories for digestion than carbohydrates and fat. Over time, this increase in the calories you burn every day can lead to more weight loss.
5. Shakes are convenient. When you substitute shakes for 1-2 of your daily meals it makes worrying about cooking and eating the right foods in the proper amounts unnecessary. This convenience factor makes sticking to your diet much easier.
But Will I get The Nutrition I Need?
Before any of you raise your hand and shouts out that drinking shakes instead of eating 1-2 meals a day will cause malnutrition let me explain. As long as you are healthy, drink a high quality shake, and eating 1-2 nutritious meals everyday, you will be doing more than enough to cover your nutritional needs.
Below are a few tips to help you make sure you get plenty of the nutrients your body needs when following this type of diet.
1. Eat protein at every meal. Combined with the shakes you drink, this ensures your daily needs are met. Protein rich foods are also loaded with vitamins and minerals. Fish and red meat are especially nutritious.
2. Be smart about the carbs you eat. Keeping your daily amount below 100 grams will help you stay in fat burning mode.This is easy to do, by making sure the majority of carbohydrates you eat come from nutrient dense vegetables and fruits. Think berries, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and peppers. Be careful when it comes to eating too much fruit since it can be high in sugar.
3. Eat plenty of healthy fats. Fats keep you full and health which makes losing weight – and keeping it off – easier. Healthy fats you should eat include almond butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and fish oil. Limit unhealthy fats such as corn oil and margarine.
What To Look For In A Protein Shake.
There are certain things your shake should have to make it good for losing weight. I’ve listed them below so you know what to look for when making a purchase.
1. Every shake you drink should have at least 20 grams of protein. This ensures that you are getting enough in every shake you drink to stay full and burn off excess fat.
2. The protein in your shakes must include casein and whey. The reason for this is twofold. First, casein protein digests very slowly, over at least 4-6 hours. This helps you stay full longer and keeps your body supplied with energy boosting and muscle building amino acids so it doesn’t have to break down muscle for them instead. Second, the whey protein in the shakes is rich in branched chain amino acids which studies show are effective for losing weight.
3. Your shake should contain minimal carbohydrates and sugar. Neither ingredient in protein shakes offers any nutritional value. Shakes with lots of sugar may taste great but they’re giving you empty calories that can make weight loss more difficult. When choosing a shake make sure it has less than 5 grams of sugar per serving.
4. Choose a product that comes in several flavors. This helps keep your diet from becoming too monotonous. I recommend buying 3-4 different flavors as this variety really makes it easier to stick to my diet.
The Best Protein Shake Weight Loss
BSN Lean Dessert my favorite protein shake to drink when you are dieting to lose weight. This is because it meets all of the aforementioned requirements and then some. Just as important is that every flavor tastes great! I also like it because it mixes easily in water and doesn’t contain a lot of useless ingredients and fillers.
Lean Dessert is also great for curbing cravings for sweets, a common diet killer. Each flavor is made to taste like a cream, rich, sweet dessert. Lean Dessert comes in several flavors including banana cream, chocolate fudge cake, cinnamon roll, and whipped vanilla cream.
Unlike eating the actual desserts, this shake doesn’t contain a 1000 calories or have lots of sugars that will be stored as fat. Every serving of Lean Dessert has just 150 calories and 2 grams of sugar. Unlike sugar-rich cakes and ice cream, Lean Dessert is loaded with 21 grams of fat burning protein from casein, whey, and other sources.
Drinking Lean Dessert is also good for your keeping your budget lean. Every scoop serving costs only $1.27. You’ll have to pay much more to get this much protein from regular food.
Learn more and shop for BSN Lean Dessert in our online store.
Now you know that protein shakes aren’t just for building muscle. They can also help you lose weight and burn off excess fat. You just need to drink the right shakes and keep your carbohydrate and caloric intake with your other meals low.
Follow the guidelines in this article and you’ll quickly see the effectiveness of this dietary strategy.
1. Frestedt JL, Young LR, Bell M. Meal Replacement Beverage Twice a Day in Overweight and Obese Adults. Curr Nutr Food Sci. 2012 Nov;8(4):320-329.
2. König D, Deibert P, Frey I, Landmann U, Berg A. Effect of meal replacement on metabolic risk factors in overweight and obese subjects. Ann Nutr Metab. 2008;52(1):74-8.
3. Mourier A, Bigard AX, de Kerviler E, Roger B, Legrand H, Guezennec CY. Combined effects of caloric restriction and branched-chain amino acid supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in elite wrestlers. Int J Sports Med. 1997 Jan;18(1):47-55.
4. Theim KR, Brown JD, Juarascio AS, Malcolm RR, O’Neil PM. Relations of hedonic hunger and behavioral change to weight loss among adults in a behavioral weight loss program utilizing meal-replacement products. Behav Modif. 2013 Nov;37(6):790-805.