Can supplementing with creatine help you lose weight and burn off excess body fat? Yes it can. While it’s marketed as a muscle-builder, I actually think it’s more effective for helping you get and stay lean than any ‘thermogenic’ or ‘fat burning’ supplement on the market.
My opinion is based on firsthand experience. I have been taking creatine pretty much daily for a year. In this time I have lost over 70 pounds of excess fat. I’ve also gained muscle, gotten stronger, and significantly increased my workout endurance. Based on my results prior to supplementing with it, creatine helped me lose fat faster and made the process a lot less painful.
After reading this article you will know how creatine monohydrate can help you get leaner, faster. You’ll also learn how to take it for the best results, and what to look for when shopping for a creatine supplement.
How Creatine Can Help You Lose Weight
You can still train hard and to burn off fat during and after your workouts.
The best types of workout for losing excess body fat are those that make you push yourself as hard as possible for short periods of time (15-60 seconds) with very little rest between each set. These workouts are often referred to as interval, sprint, or HIIT (high intensity interval training).
Examples of a high intensity workouts are: kettlebell complexes, Crossfit WODs, hill sprints, and jumping rope.
The problem with doing these workouts when you’re adapting to a low carb diet and/or eating less calories is that you often don’t have the energy to do these demanding workouts. This can lead to not going to the gym at all which slows your progress.
Taking creatine solves is the answer. After a 5-7 days you’ll find that your endurance during these workouts is back to normal. Mine actually got a lot better. Even though I had other symptoms of the ‘low carb flu’ while adapting, my workouts got better. I was able to do multiple sets of high rep kettlebell swings and with less reps between sets and squat with heavier weights than before.
With this improved endurance and ability to train harder, longer I was able to burn more calories when I exercised. Given the high intensity of my workouts the afterburn effect of this style of training enabled me to burn off body fat for several hours post-workout too. These results showed themselves in the mirror too. I noticed that I looked leaner within a week and saw similar results when I measured my waist every week.
You’ll Build Muscle And Look Better Naked
You may not think gaining anything when you’re goal is to get leaner and lose weight is a good idea. Gaining muscle, or at least holding onto what you have is super important when your goal is to lose weight and look your best.
The cool thing is that this benefit happens quickly. Taking creatine monohydrate properly can help you add 3-5 pounds of muscle in a matter of weeks. This added lean mass will help you look and feel better. This is an awesome mental and physical boost that is great for keeping your diet on track.
It sure helped me. Whenever I noticed I was looking like I’d added some muscle it helped me feel good about my progress and made it easier to stay on track when things got tough.
One last benefit of adding extra muscle is that you’ll burn more calories, even at rest. While it’s not going to make your extra weight melt away overnight, gaining muscle does give us a little boost in the calorie burning department. Even when you’re not working out.
You Won’t Lose Your Strength. In Fact You’ll Get Stronger
Cutting carbohydrates and calories from your diet to lose weight can leave you feeling weak and tired. You may have heard of this being referred to as the low carb or keto flu. It’s likely you experienced its strength sapping symptoms firsthand.
I certainly have and can say that it’s the worst. Its forced my to cut my workouts in half and double or triple the time I rest between sets of each exercise. This makes trying to lose weight a real bummer and if you don’t do something about it, throw you off your diet before your body gets the chance to adapt to burning your own stored body fat for energy and regain your strength.
Taking creatine solves this problem. It will help you keep and oftentimes even increase your strength and power. Even though you’re cutting back on carbs and the amount of calories you normally eat. The stronger you are and better you feel, the more motivation and energy you’ll have to keep getting after it until you reach your fat loss goal.
How To Get The Most Out Of Your Creatine Supplement
Listed below are 4 simple, tested, and proven tips to get the greatest benefit from this awesome supplement. Each tip is backed by peer-reviewed research and millions of people like you and me who use it to help get lean, gain muscle, and build their best body quickly.
1. Always do a loading phase. This means taking 20 grams a day in 4 divide doses (5 grams per serving) for the first 5-7 days your supplementing with creatine. Studies show that we get the most muscle, strength, and endurance boosting gains when we take it this way instead of a single serving a day.
Once you’ve completed the ‘loading phase’ you can cut back to a single, 5 gram (1 scoop) serving a day. This is enough to keep your muscles filled with creatine and producing the results you’re after.
2. Only use Creatine Monohydrate. Don’t be fooled by businesses that say their special type of Creatine works better. It doesn’t. Studies on various types of Creatine, from ethyl ester (CEE), HCL, and liquid Creatine find that none of them work better than Creatine Monohydrate. In fact, some of them don’t work at all.
3. Buy a Supplement that uses micronized creatine monohydrate. This means that it’s mulled into a very fine powder that dissolved easily and doesn’t quickly settle to the bottom of your glass. Regular creatine monohydrate often sticks to the glass and is hard to keep dissolved without constantly stirring.
Which Creatine Supplement Is The Best?
My recommendation for the best creatine supplement is Nutrakey Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Powder. It’s made in the USA, tested before and after packaging for purity, and is a great value with 200 Servings per container. This is enough to last several months.
Now you know how taking creatine monohydrate can help you lose fat and look and feel awesome. All that’s left is for you to give it a try. When you do, let us know how it has helped you too.
1. Branch JD. Effect of creatine supplementation on body composition and performance: a meta-analysis. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2003 Jun;13(2):198-226.
2. Hoffman JR, Stout JR, Falvo MJ, Kang J, Ratamess NA. Effect of low-dose, short-duration creatine supplementation on anaerobic exercise performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2005 May;19(2):260-4.
3. Jäger R, Harris RC, Purpura M, Francaux M.Comparison of new forms of creatine in raising plasma creatine levels. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Nov 12;4:17.
4. Van Loon LJ, Oosterlaar AM, Hartgens F, Hesselink MK, Snow RJ, Wagenmakers AJ. Effects of creatine loading and prolonged creatine supplementation on body composition, fuel selection, sprint and endurance performance in humans. Clin Sci (Lond). 2003 Feb;104(2):153-62.