Who doesn’t love grilled steak? There’s no other high protein meal that I enjoy eating more. The smoky, rich flavor of grilled red meat tastes great, fills me up, helps me build muscle, and energizes my body and mind.
Steak has lots of healthy benefits too. Eating just 4 ounces has almost 30 grams of protein and a good dose of heart healthy monounsaturated fat. You don’t have to worry about its saturated fat content either since the type that steak has (stearic acid) is good for you. Eating steak also helps you get lots of vitamins and minerals including B vitamins, zinc, and iron. You also get at least a gram of creatine from every 4 ounce serving.
This recipe serves up steak a little differently. The way its prepared and the sauce you eat it with are based on Argentinian style grilling. Each bite packs every taste imaginable including salty, smoky, spicy and sour. After one bite I think you’ll be hooked and want to eat it this way all the time. Since eating it this way at an Argentinian restaurant in Miami a decade ago I’ve been eating it this way at least once a week.
Grilled Skirt Steak With Chimichurri Sauce
Total Preparation Time: 30 minutes
For The Steak
1 lb. of skirt steak
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons of Kosher or Sea salt
For The Chimichurri Sauce
1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley
¼ cup cilantro
1 clove of garlic
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Kosher or Sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Make The Chimichurri Sauce
1. Combine the lemon juice and olive oil into a medium size mixing bowl. Whisk together until they’re completely combined.
2. Chop the garlic and scallion into a fine dice.
3. Add the garlic, scallion, crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper to the olive oil-lemon mixture.
4. Chop the cilantro and parsley into a fine dice. Add both to the mixing bowl.
5. Whisk all of the ingredients together until they’re completely combined.
6. Set aside to for 30 minutes before serving to allow all the flavors to combine.
Grilling The Skirt Steak
1. Place the steak on a cutting board or other flat surface and wrap in plastic wrap.
2. Pound the steak using a mallet or other flat, heavy object until it’s between ½” to ¼” thick. I like to use a wine bottle if I don’t have a mallet.
3. Unwrap the steak and cover both sides with the Kosher salt. Wrap back and place in your refrigerator for 1-2 hours. This will tenderize the meat and make it tender, juicy and flavorful.
4. Remove the steak from your refrigerator and let it sit until it’s at room temperature, about 15-30 minutes.
5. Turn on your grill and set the flame to medium. If you don’t have a grill, you can use a grill pan instead.
6. Brush the grates of the grill or your grill pan with extra virgin olive oil.
7. Once the grill or pan are heated, place the steak on the grill to cook.
8. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side for medium rare.
9. Remove the steak from the grill or pan and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. This will allow the juices within the meat to redistribute and remain moist and tender.
Serving The Steak
1. Cut the steak into ½” slices. You should cut the steak on an angle and against the grain.
2. Place the sliced steak on a platter and top with 2-3 tablespoon of chimichurri sauce. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.
This dish pairs well with any grilled or roasted vegetable. Some I really like to eat it with are grilled or roasted asparagus, bell peppers, corn, or eggplant.
Calories From Fat: 230
Carbohydrates: 1 gram
Fat: 28 grams
Protein: 42 grams